If you own your own home, you have a lot of options when it comes to the materials you use for your roof. One good option for residential roofing is a metal roof. There are a lot of good things about having a residential metal roof, here are a few of the benefits to this kind of roofing.
- They are energy efficient. Traditional, residential roofing that is made with asphalt shingles attracts and retains the heat from the rays from the sun. The temperature on one of these traditional roof can go up by as much as 100 degrees Fahrenheit. By contrast, metal roofs reflect the rays from the sun and the home is kept much cooler. This means your power bills will be lowered as you do not need to spend as much to cool it.
- Metal roofing is environmentally friendly. Every year, at least 11 million tons of asphalt will end up in landfills around the world. All of the metal that is used in your metal roof installation can be recycled when the roof gets to the end of its usefulness. Moreover, residential roofing that is made from metal comes from scrap metal sources so it is the product of recycling already. When you combine these facts with the fact that you can use less energy to cool your home, you have a roofing material that is very good for lowering a homeowner’s carbon footprint.
- Homeowners can save on their taxes with a metal roof. The federal government often offers incentives for homeowners who want to have a metal roofing company install a metal roof. There are also often tax incentives offered by various states and localities. People who are interested in tax incentives should talk to their accountant or your local and state government offices.
- Metal roofs look great. People report that their homes have an immediate improvement in the curb appeal when they have the metal roof installers come. There is a design for just about every style and taste. This also means the home’s value goes up when this kind of residential roofing is installed. Some have estimated that when people install a metal roof, they see the value of their home go up by between 1 and 6%. As more and more people learn about the value of having a metal roof, the value of homes that have them go up. There are over 100 colors that homeowners have to pick from. That is another way these can look great and improve the value of a home.
- Metal roofs last a long time. Traditional roofing made from asphalt shingles will last about 20 to 25 years. Metal roofs can last a lot longer than that. When the steel used has been coated with an aluminum-zinc alloy, the lifespan of the roof can hit 100 years. Metal roofs without this coating can expect to last for about 50 years.
- Metal roofs need a lot less maintenance. It has been estimated that a homeowner with a traditional roof will spend anywhere between 1 and 4% of their home’s value each year on roof repairs. This os because the asphalt shingles get damaged by the UV rays from the sun, wind, rain and snow. Metal roofs are not vulnerable to these problems and require almost zero in the way of maintenance. The most people really need to do is brush off any leaves, branches or other debris that might fall on the metal roof. This makes this kind of residential roofing really easy for homeowners to deal with. These roofs are also not susceptible to problems from moss, mold and algae. All of these things can be big problems for traditional asphalt roofs.
- A metal roof makes a home safer. Most metal roofing has a wind rating of 140 miles per hour. This means that you will be safe during the most intense storm. As a consequence of the high wind rating, homeowners insurance policies offer discounts for people who have metal roofing installed on their homes. At the very least, it is worth checking with your insurance carrier to see what their policy on metal roofs is.
All homeowners are looking to save money on home maintenance. Metal roofs can help with that.