Understanding the Difference Between a Public Adjuster and an Independent Adjuster


Flood damage claims

It’s almost impossible to prepare for the damage that a natural disaster or severe weather event can do to your home. Because of the unexpected nature of floods, fires and tornadoes, homeowners whose homes become damaged in these events often file insurance claims to get financial help and begin to rebuild their lives.

During the claim process, you might hear about two very different kinds of insurance adjusters: the public adjuster and the independent adjuster.

How do public adjuster services differ from those of a company or independent adjuster hired by your insurance provider? Find out with this list of the biggest differences between the two:

Independent adjusters represent your insurance company

In the immediate aftermath of the disaster that damaged your home, your insurance company’s hired claims adjuster will be one of the people to show up at your home. Your insurance provider will send this independent adjuster to document evidence of the damage. And while these adjusters can be a valuable source of support as you recover from a natural disaster, it’s important to remember that their job is to minimize the cost of your claim to your insurance company as much as possible.

Public adjusters represent you

When you seek out public adjuster services, you’re seeking out the help of someone whose job it is to help you. These public adjusters work with your interests and needs in mind, and not those of your insurance company, and will thus strive to get you the best possible outcome in your claim.

Independent adjusters work at no charge to you

Insurance companies won’t charge you anything extra when they send an insurance adjuster to your home during your claim. However, it’s important to remember that not paying any money for a claims adjuster might come at a higher price than you think, and the settlement of your claim may ultimately be much lower than you’d have liked.

Public adjusters charge a fee

Public adjusters usually charge a 10% portion of the money you receive in your claim settlement. If you believe you will experience difficulty with settling your claim with your insurance company, it’s well worth it to seek out the help of a public adjuster.

Have any other questions for us about seeking out public adjuster services for your flood damage or fire damage claims? Feel free to ask by leaving a comment below.

abalorios de pandora abalorios de pandora abalorios de pandora

Leave a Reply