Drug and alcohol addiction is a serious problem for people all over the world. In the United States there are over 20 million people over the age of 12 who suffer from a non-tobacco addiction. In 2011, there were more than five million drug related emergency room visits. Illegal drugs together with alcohol are problems for 2.6 million people who suffer from addiction. This is also a public safety issue as in 2011, 9.4 million people drove while they were under the influence. Many of these people turn to ibogaine drug treatment centers for help.
Here are some tips to help you get back to your life after ibogaine drug treatment:
- Stay positive. One of the things the ibogaine drug treatment centers try to instill in people is a positive outlook on life. Because they focus on the mind/body/spirit connection, you will probably have that feeling last for at least a few days after you get home from the ibogaine clinic. You should have been taught some techniques to maintain that sense of well being and to push away any negative thoughts that rise to the surface. You will have negative feelings but if you focus on positive things, it will be easier to deal with them.
- In recovery, they say you have to change the people, places and things that associate with using your drug or drugs of choice. If you spend your time at the ibogaine addiction treatment facility only to go home and fall back into the very environment that you were in before you went through drug treatment, you will reduce the chances that your recovery is successful. Surround yourself with better influences and you will have a much better chance to succeed.
- Check out the new you. When people are in their addiction, they often never want to look at themselves. After your ibogaine drug treatment, when you look in the mirror, you might be happier with what you see. Do healthy things like yoga, other exercise and meditation. If you feel like you want to use, go for a run or a bike ride instead.
- Live a healthy life. Pay attention to your diet. Make it a point to get that exercise in. Drink a lot of water. Go to the doctor when you need to. The healthier you stay after your ibogaine drug treatment, the less you are going to want to put substances into your body.
- Find some hobbies. Many people fins that when they get back from ibogaine drug treatment, they have a lot of time on their hands. They say that “idyl hands do the devil’s work.” Too much down time can be very bad for someone in early recovery. Think about what you like to do and make yourself do it.
- Spend time with the people you love. When you were using, you probably did not spend a lot of time with your friends and family. Make spending some time with them a big part of your recovery. It will make it easier if you have a support network to get you through the early part of recovery.
- Acceptance is the key to recovery. When you accept life on life’s terms, you can lead a happier life. A lot of people who are using, expect it to bend to what they want it to be and that is what leads them to drugs and alcohol. If you can learn acceptance, you will have an easier time in recovery.
- Do not ignore your past. You are not just your past but it is a part of you and your experiences. If you try to block out what you have done or what you have been through, you are not truly accepting life on its terms and will have an issue with your recovery. If you can forgive yourself and face your past truthfully, you will have an easier time. Take with you the lessons from the ibogaine treatment center and use them ti process the feelings, emotions and visions you may experience once you are home.
Your time at the ibogaine drug treatment center was just the first step in the journey called recovery.